Friday, May 14, 2010

Handmade Medicine Bags.


Hello Everyone,
   I recently went to washington dc and got the great opportunity stroll through the Native American Smithsonian center/museum and I could have spent all day in there.
I was in love with everything I saw.  The colors, the textures, the materials, etc.
One recurring theme that really drew me in was the medicine/talisman bags that I saw.
It started getting me thinking about what medicine really means to different people..and Im not talking about pills...Im talking about things that make us feel better personally.
Whether it be the scent of lavender, a keepsake stone from the beach or a crystal, even a photo.
I thought it would look through my box of scraps and see if I could try to make a mountain girl version of a medicine bag.
So far I am in love with making them and hopefully my customers will enjoy seeing them as well.
Some have pockets and some are just a hanging glimpse of something pretty and eclectic that hangs from the neck that might make someone else seeing it smile, as well as the person wearing it.
Thanks for sharing a bit of your Friday with me...I'll be posting the medicine bags and other new fun tops and dresses this afternoon <3

3 comments:

  1. THe pioneers carried something they called "possible bags" on their bodies,to hold essential small stuff that they would need if, say, the wagon got washed down stream while they were crossing and all their belongings were gone. I haven't been able to find out much about these bags, but they were often of leather and fit close to their bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your etsy store and blog and really like your stuff. i also have an etsy shop( www.faradaisyjean.com) where i make mostly leather items and for some reason I have also been drawn to medicine bags lately. I thought of trying one myself. I like your version a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Was trying to find your email address (came here via Etsy) but couldn't find it!

    I saw your advice for advertising a small business on the forums, and was wondering if you were interested in turning it into a guest post at my blog -- www.janehasajob.com

    Email me if you are -- emma@janehasajob.com

    Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...