Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Getting Back To Sewing and Doula Studying!

I'm not sure WHERE the time went this weekend but I am finally back in the studio to clean up from the hurricane of a weekend I've had and to start working again, sending orders out etc!
I am a newly certified Doula and have been a bit distracted from my Doula reading so I walked down to the ToadStool Bookshop yesterday and bought a new doula book to help me get reading again! It's called A Holistic Guide To Pregnancy and Childbirth by Deepak Chopra MD.
So far it's great!
I would recommend visting the Doulas of North America website to anyone who is even remotely interested in the role of a Doula plays for laboring women and their families.  Studying this gorgeous and lost art has brought so much joy to my life and I can't wait to get out there and support some more lovely women throughout their labors!


*What is a doula?
The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves" and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...