Thursday, April 28, 2011

What I Made For $1 Thursdays

Hello!
I'm going to start sharing some really great, amazingly cheap(and sometimes free!) projects you can do with your old clothing and fabrics.....I'm going to attempt to do this every Thursday!
Here is my first posting for What I Made For $1:

Hula Hoop Weaving
So far this week I've made a recycled tshirt fabric bowl (above)
and a beautiful recycled calico spring colored wall hanging/place mat/chair cushion/whatever you want it to be:








I am NOT good a writing instructions although some posts I may attempt to but luckily I've found a great blog(her blog is awesome!) called: Imagine Lovely and she has written out great instructions for us if you are interested in making your own piece! Here is the link.
I've used Tshirt material for the bowl.  I made a bowl shape by tightening the warp threads when I tied it off.  It made the woven tshirt fabric crunch back on itself which makes the circular shape.

The second piece is a lot more tight and solid since I used smaller thinner strands of calico cotton and only a few strands of magenta tshirt material.
You could also cut your plain colored plastic bags and when you are done spray paint the piece golden.
If you are making a wall hanging it would be great to hang little trinkets off the weave if you have an old orphaned earring laying around that needs an new home!

Materials:
Hula Hoop $1 at the Dollar Store...don't forget to experiment with size... tiny little hoops and huge 
hoops!
Warp Threads(anything you choose)
Weft Threads(also could be anything you choose).
This is also a great project because you can put it down and pick it up and continue anytime without loosing your place!
I hope you enjoyed this post and I'm already looking forward to the Next What I Made For $1!

2 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! I am so excited that you will be sharing some projects...you are super creative=)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...